The aim of the course is to expose students to the fundamentals of
digital electronics system design.
- through gate level system design optimization techniques and
- the design procedures for both memoryless and memory-based systems will be elucidated.
Lecture 1: Course Outline and Introduction
Lecture 2: Boolean Algebra and Binary Logic I
Lecture 3: Boolean Algebra and Binary Logic II
Lecture 4: Implementation using Resistors, Diodes and Transistors
Lecture 5: Combinational Circuit (Design Procedures, Adders, Subtractors)
Lecture 6: Combinational Circuit (De/Multiplexers, Encoders and Decoders)
Lecture 7: Sequential Circuits (Memory Elements — Latches and Flip Flops)
Lecture 8: Sequential Circuits (Registers, Counters, Finite State Machines)
Recommended Reading List
- Digital Electronics (Digital Logic Design) by Sanjay Sharma, Kwatson Books, 2011, 3ed, ISBN: 978-81-907386-7-5
- Digital Systems Principles and Applications by Ronald J. Tocci, Neal S. Widmer, Gregory L. Moss, Pearson Education, Inc, 2007, 10ed, ISBN: 0-13-173969-7.
- An digital systems textbook that covers the relevant areas to be treated.